Sunday 13 May 2012

Writing Research - Free OU Modules

Over the past few days I have focused on writing by researching tips and advice, doing writing exercises and studying a few free courses at the OU. I have found the more I throw myself in to writing, the quicker my creativity opens up and ideas have started to flow more freely. I knew I wanted to write but wasn't sure what genre or topic or even where to start. The following websites have really helped over the past couple of days:

Open Learn from The Open University: http://www.open.edu/openlearn/
This website is fantastic and provides various chapters from modules that the OU have taught over the years. It covers all kinds of topics from Science to Religion and also has quite a few writing modules. I am currently studying 'Start Writing Fiction' which begins by exploring character building and genres. The first activity was to write a scene where you portray a character who goes against it's usual stereotype. Here's my first attempt:

'It's been a very long morning' thought Martin as he finished his last job of his shift for the weekend. He had the rest of the afternoon off and could not wait to get home. He lay on Mrs Jones' yellowing linoleum floor, feet splayed, with his broad upper body wedged under her sink, whilst fixing her blocked pipe. This was easy enough to fix and usually would be a task for an apprentice plumber but Martin's apprentice was off today.
As he tightened the last washer he began to plan his outfit for tonight's show. It had been a while since LouLou Amour had been on stage due to his busy schedule, but tonight would be his best performance yet. He had a brand new long golden blonde wig and a red sequin dress with a thigh high slit awaiting for him to slip into when he get home, before beginning the hour long process of applying the make-up.

I think there could be a lot more description in there and the character needs to have more depth. The follow up activity is to re-write it in first person, trying to put the character in a sympathetic light or allowing the audience to identify with him. I will do this tonight and post up tomorrow.

Another great website I would suggest for ideas and inspiration is http://www.writingforward.com/. It provides lots of advice for new writers and also has some various writing exercises on there to open up your creativity. I will definitely explore this further tomorrow when I have a bit more time!

No comments:

Post a Comment