Saturday 19 May 2012

Activity 2 Re-Written. Character Building.

Ok so I have finally re-written activity 2 in the first person, trying to put my character in a sympathetic light by revealing his passion lies in his hobby whilst at the same time trying to make him sound interesting and intriguing by mentioning he has a wife whilst hinting that he is of course a drag queen. I read somewhere the key to fiction is to 'show, not tell'. Show the reader a something about your character, don't tell them. This is why I have not stated that he is a plumber or a drag queen and left that for my audience to discover as they read. I think this draft is better than the other and I do think my writing style will be more natural in first person.

Here it is:

It’s Friday lunch time and here I am, lying on a customer’s ageing linoleum floor with my upper body uncomfortably wedged under her kitchen sink. I would usually leave a simple blocked pipe like this to my apprentice but typically he is off today. I enjoy my job and am one of the best in my trade; however my passion, like many other people, is in my hobby, albeit a rather unusual one.
As I finished tightening the last washer on Mrs Jones’ kitchen sink pipe, I began to visualize my outfit for tonight’s extravaganza. I excitedly pictured a gorgeous red sequin dress with the slit all the way up the thigh and of course my glamorous new blonde wig. Hopefully Jane, my wife, will have picked up my shoes today, the gold glittery platforms which will complete the outfit. They have of course been specially made to fit a male foot and hopefully will fit like a dream.
It has been a while since LouLou Amour made an appearance, as myself and Jane have had a lot of family social events on, plus work is always busy in the Winter with people’s pipes bursting under the strain of frozen water. One thing is for sure, it will be a night to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment